Thursday, August 13, 2015

PACKING THE HOSPITAL BAG

The time has finally come! I have to say it's incredibly surreal gathering items and packing them up knowing that when you use them, it's game time. Today is the mark of 35 weeks (even though there's no 35 week progress photo yet, whoops) which means we are just a short 35 days from little Harper's due date! Yesterday was my second to last 2 week appointment, they're scheduled slightly off due to the fact that they were pre-booked before my due date was moved. Baby and momma both checked out well, her heart rate is still "happy" as the doctor always says and she kicked her hands during the measurements. I only put on 2 pounds since the last time but somehow gained FIVE INCHES. Holy mother. Doc says she's in position with her head down and my body is already starting to get ready for d-day. Our next appointment is in about 2 weeks and we're praying that after the exam they tell us a little something something is going on so we can meet her already!


I've rounded up a list of things that we'll be taking with us to the hospital. Some are for baby, momma, and even daddy. I'm just slightly obsessed with reading what other mommies have packed and getting advice from friends with kids. Any and all advice on what to bring and not to bring is welcome!


Starting off are the obvious things we'll need while we're there.

  • Tooth brush and tooth paste for both Justin and I.
  • Breath mints...because everybody knows your breath gets gnarly when you're nervous (bonus points if you can name that movie!)
  • Shampoo and conditioner
  • Face wash
  • Deodorant
  • Chapstick. I decided to get one that sounded super yummy considering I'm a total foodie and won't be able to eat the entire time I'm in labor....
  • A band spankin new pack of granny panties. Because if you've had a baby or have heard the details of what goes down from your overly honest friends, you just know. Leave the cute ones at home. 
  • Not pictured: feminine items. You get the idea.

For the daddy to be we have:
  • I'm the Daddy T-shirt. He sent me the link for this within 24 hours of finding out that I was pregnant so of course it made it on the list :)
  • Protein bars and powerade. If your husband is anything like mine, he's a big guy with a faster metabolism who can get hangry rather fast. Like grandma always said, keep them full and they'll be happy. 
  • Earplugs. Between nurses coming in and out and machines beeping these seem like a must.
  • Cigars. Because the guys have to celebrate!
  • Full change of clothes. In case labor takes a little longer than we'd like.
For myself:
  • Gray Knit Robe. This isn't the exact one pictured above. This is the Gilligan & O'Malley brand from target, mine is the Xhilaration one. Both are super soft and seem like a great alternative to the itchy hospital gowns.


  • Lace Nursing Bra. I already wear this everyday and it is the most comfortable bra ever! It helps alleviate rib pain from the new weight and changes going on up there. It's not your average Ugly Nursing Bra like the other one shown. However, both are super comfy!
  • Nursing Cami. Earlier in pregnancy before my belly got too big I tried on a few different brands and found this to be the most comfortable. Plus I'm a total sucker for gray and it comes in the perfect shade :)
  • 2 changes of clothes. One going home outfit (leggings and a loose t-shirt) plus a pair of baggy sweats and an old t-shirt.
  • Slippers



For Harper:

  • Flannel  and muslin swaddling blankets. Since the temperature in September can be unpredictable and hospitals tend to be chilly, I packed a light weight and heavier option.
  • Diapers. I know they say not to bother bringing these since the hospital will provide them. But at my baby shower there was a basket of diapers and markers for guests to write us "Late night diaper notes" so I covered my eyes and grabbed a stack so we can share a laugh or two at those first awful 3am changes.
  • Pajamas. They're no longer on the website, but the white ones shown above are from Carter's.
  • Coming home outfit. The leggings and onesie are both from target (the onesie isn't listed online). Gray headbandBaby moccasins from The Golden Polkadot. This company makes the BEST baby mocs around and they're much cheaper compared to some of their $50+ competitors. The sweet woman who makes them is selling and saving for infertility treatments to have her own squishy little baby. They're high quality and are super soft inside! Perfect for newborn feet.
We also have a list on the fridge with last minute items such as phone chargers, the boppy, his travel shower kit, my makeup bag, and our wallets with ID's and insurance cards. To make things easier, we're going to pre-register at the hospital to save time and avoid lengthy paperwork during labor. Also, due to my corn allergy (who knew IV lines and sutures contain corn starch?!) we're arranging a consult with the anesthesiologist to have a game plan on my file so everybody knows exactly what to do when it's game time. 

I apologize for the lengthy post, but through lots of help from fellow bloggers and friends we've compiled quite the list of "needs" for the big day. Hopefully this week we can get together a 35 week progress shot and put the finishing touches on the nursery to share with you all. Happy (almost) Friday!







No comments:

Post a Comment